5 soloists: Soprano, 2 Mezzo Sopranos, Tenor, Bass Baritone
Children’s chorus: 6-8 singers with 3-4 on each of two parts, S/A (can be more)
Flute, Violin, Cello, Piano (preferably grand piano for some effects)
An abridged version for violin and piano is under development for educational outreach programs.
Level of musicianship required
Soloists should be professional level.
Chorus parts are aimed for late elementary or middle school level and above.
Chamber ensemble should be professional level. Violinist has the most prominent and challenging part.
See complete score here.
- PRINCESS SHULAMIT (SHULA): a teen in search of her identity whose soul is stolen by a mirror demon. Mezzo Soprano (could possibly double Auntie Malka, as they do not share the stage until the Final ensemble chorus.)
- PRINCE RAPHAEL (RAFI): Shula’s brother who sets out to save her. Tenor
- MYCOLOGIST: a mushroom gatherer Rafi encounters in the forest. Bass Baritone (should double as Elijah, since Mycologist is actually Elijah in disguise)
- AUNTIE MALKA: old woman known as a healer. Mezzo Soprano (could double Princess Shulamit)
- ZOHARA: Auntie Malka’s niece whom she is training to become a healer. Soprano
- ELIJAH: a hermit who has a magical violin. Bass Baritone (doubles as Mycologist)
- CHILDREN OF THE FOREST, DEMONS, SINGING TREES, ANGELIC VOICES and various other roles, Children’s Chorus in two parts or S/A. Could be upper elementary children or high school/college young women.
Prologue—Hide and Seek
A dank, shadow-filled room in the palace home of
Prince Raphael and Princess Shulamit
The edge of the forest
A sunny garden in a glade
Deep in the woods
Outside Elijah’s cave
Back in the palace room
Staircase (or choreography to simulate climbing stairs)
Mirror (or semblance of a mirror)
Trees (can be tree branches held by chorus as singing trees)
Tree whose leaf can be plucked
Leaf which is plucked and becomes a leaf-map
Violin (does not need to be playable)
A container for carrying mushrooms. (content can be imagined)
A container for carrying tea and chocolate. (content can be imagined)
Princess Shulamit– teenage girl in princess attire
Prince Raphael—teenage boy in prince attire
Mycologist (mushroom gatherer) –old man in work clothes in the forest
Auntie Malka—old woman in peasant clothes, headscarf
Zohara—young girl (teenager) in peasant clothes
Elijah—old man in peasant clothes, with head covering
Prologue: A remote shadowy room in the palace, with staircase and mirror
Scene I: Mushroom gatherer’s section at the edge of the forest
Scene II: Herb garden in sunny glade
Scene III: Forest at night.
Scene IV: Outside Elijah’s cave deep in the forest
Scene V: Back at the palace room with mirror